Join us every Sabbath to learn and grow spiritually. Sabbath School begins at 10:00 AM, and Praise & Worship begins at 12:00 PM. A few times during the year, we visit nursing homes and fellowship with the residents. On those dates, we do not have our regular service. Please check our calendar.
In the early 1930’s before a church was built, services were held in the home of Daniel and Annie Wilson, the home of Lessie Ijames, the home of Johnnie Ijames, all of whom are now deceased. Services were also held at Palmetto A.M.E. Zion Church, located on Highway 601 North in Mocksville. At that time, the church did not have a specific name.
John W. Clement, a resident of Mocksville, owned quite a bit of land and when he died, designated portions to be given to his children. The church group purchased an acre that belonged to Amanda Clement Woods for $100.00. Since the church property was purchased from the Clement family, the name Clement Grove Church was established. Current church members recollect that it was purchased in 1939, but records in the Davie County Register of Deeds have the property recorded in 1943.
Once the land was purchased, it took about five years to build up enough treasury to begin construction of the church. The contractor in charge of building was Carl James, from the Fairfield community. They used terrocota blocks to build a sanctuary about 30X50 in size. The church members who were instrumental in helping with the building project were James Rucker, Elder Johnnie Ijames, and Pastor Archie Ijames. Those three men were the first to drive a stake (they were called stobs at that time) in the ground for the church to be built. At that time Elder O.R. Osmond was the general overseer of the Church of God Body of Christ Organization.
Land adjacent to the sanctuary was purchased in 1965 and the church expanded. The additions included bathrooms, a new sanctuary, and the old sanctuary became classrooms.
In 2001, a building committee was formed to address the growing church population and facility concerns. Elder Raymond Robinson, Leonard “BB” Coulter, Jr., and Dr. Regina Graham were the committee members. They established a building fund so that members and friends could make contributions towards a new building. In a short amount of time, enough funds were raised to proceed with expanding the church. Todd Houston of Houston Construction in Troutman, NC was selected as the general contractor and the project was financed by Bank of The Carolinas. In August 2002, the original church (which was being used for classrooms), was demolished, and construction began for a 2,336 square foot Christian Education Center. The new facility has a family room that is used as a multipurpose area, three classrooms, a nursery, a Pastor’s office, two handicap accessible bathrooms, and a storage room. A hallway connects the new building to the sanctuary. Modifications were also made to the sanctuary, which included extension of the pulpit area. A new sound room and church foyer were built in the front of the sanctuary. Other additions include porches, sidewalks, and a portico in the rear of the church.
Former pastors of the church were Archie Ijames, Eld. Ivan W. Ijames, and Eld. Ernest Ijames, all deceased. Eld. Raymond Robinson, Jr., became pastor on January 2, 2010.
Members of Clement Grove Church of God hosted a banquet dinner on Sunday, June 13, 2010 to celebrate the completion of mortgage payments for their Christian Education Center. The celebration was held in the church fellowship hall.